Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Continued Saga Of The Roses vs The Beast

I woke up early, 5am, in anticipation of the Event.  I announced to the sleepy eyed husband that I wanted to get out of the drive before the morning rush started on Belt St. freeway.  Since he works evenings and had only had 5 hours of sleep, he grumbled and mumbled, but agreed it was probably a good idea.  I had intended to back up the hill, but the trailer had another idea so we backed down the hill.  I still haven't mastered the follow your thumbs technique offered by my neighbor.  I made it just in the nick of time!
I parked it in front of the house and went in to have a cup of hot coffee and get the Grump fed.

We finally realized we needed gas, so we got ourselves together and made a mad dash for Costco before they opened and the rush started.  We managed to get in and out without taking out half the gas pumps and I was very thankful there were no cars to deal with.  Then we were off and it was only 8:30.  We were doing great!

Having discovered the night before we had no electric cord to hook up the trailer, we were on our way to buy one.  We arrived and found NO place to park.  What kind of trailer sales and service place has no place for people with trailers to park?  I managed to block only half of their parking spaces and instructed hubby to hurry.  While waiting, another poor soul with a trailer bigger than mine pulled in and also realized there was no place to park.  He kept circling like a buzzard waiting on his next meal, but I held my ground.  Soon hubby was out the door, we were on our way and the circling buzzard RV took my place.  Now all I had to do was get on the freeway without causing an incident. Success!!

Check in time for the park was not until 2pm so now we decided to practice parking in an empty parking lot at Post Falls, Id.  We were a source of entertainment for about two hours for some gentlemen shopping with their wives.  I still don't have the hang of the follow your thumbs rule, but I am better.  Hubby got frustrated and decides that I need to let him show me how it is done.  Well after about a dozen tries, he sheepishly grins and admits it is not as easy as looks!  He can't follow his thumbs either!  We parked, had lunch, said farewell to the Post Falls practice lot and went on our merry way.

We managed to find Farragut Park and checked in.  We were having a great day!  We got set up and only needed to connect the utilities.  Surprise!!! WRONG electric cord, but of course it was.  So, we unhitched the truck and drove 55 miles round trip to purchase a new one.  OK, now we were in business.  We had a wonderful evening and just puttered around enjoying our new little home away from home.

The next morning I was out looking around the trailer and happened to notice a storage compartment that we had overlooked.  I proceeded to open it and SURPRISE there was an electrical cord inside.  Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.  So back we went to return the other cord.  The guys at the counter chuckled and reassured us that everyone has issues at first.  They were very nice and I am sure they were really thinking what dummies.  Regardless we were determined not to let this ruin our outing.  Back we went to the campground just in time for it to start raining.  Oh yeah, it not only rained, it poured buckets.  We decided it was an opportunity to catch up on some well earned rest and just enjoyed listening to the pitter patter of rain and the roll of thunder on the mountains.

We left the next morning without incident and headed back to Spokane.  Now we were on a mission to find the dump station.  We called a friend who gave us directions.  Exit Argonne, turn left on Montgomery and it is right there.  Sounds simple enough, we can do it!  We exited, we turned and saw nothing but a car wash.  Circled back and went the other direction just in case we missed it.  Nope.  Back we went in frustration and circled the block few times just in case we were blind.  Still not there.  I turn a corner without realizing it was a double turn lane and was unaware I nearly demolished a very large truck.  When we stop to seek directions, one unhappy man pulls up beside me informs me it was indeed a double turn lane.  He realizes I am truly horrified that I nearly demolished him and immediately toned it down and was very nice about the incident.  We finally give up and call the daughter to have her Google the stupid dump station.  SURPRISE!  It is in the car wash!  Now why didn't we think of that.  We pull back around and there is a big motor home parked there this time and we realize we really are dumb, dumb, dumb.  We do manage to correctly take care that business and we are off for home.

We got parked without incident and got everything unloaded.  We actually got a good laugh and decided that over all it really was a great weekend despite all the mistakes.  We are ready to do it and this time we know we really will enjoy it.  The Beast has lived up to it's name and I think I will always refer to it as such.  I still have one thing to conquer and that is the follow your thumb rule!  I dream about it!  Left is right, right is left.......

1 comment:

charley_sexton said...

I enjoyed reading your saga. Jimmye you write so well. You have a good style and it is easy to read. I would enjoy reading more of your writings.