Pages

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Being Thankful

I always start weeks before mentally preparing myself by thinking on things I am thankful for or at least reminding myself how thankful I should be.  This year has been no exception.  God has been very good to me.  I have learned some lessons, OK most lessons, the hard way, but each one has helped me to become the person I am today.  Because of Him my life is full and rich. I am so thankful He loves me.  That is one thing that we should all be thankful for and share with those who do not know Him.

I have to admit though that this year has been tough, not that I had a lot of drama going on in my life as in years past or with Albert's health issues, but tough in another way.  I turned 64 this year and though most of the time I don't really think about how old I am, this year I have been painfully aware.

Time has slipped away from me and I have been reminiscent of how much of it I have actually wasted in one way or another.  This is an unfortunate side effect of not having been the person I should have been when I was younger.  When I say that I just mean that I let circumstances in my life redirect my path and once on that path, it took me a very long time to find my way back.  I don't want to make excuses, but because of those wrong turns it took me a long time to earn my way back into the good graces of those I love.  Life is too short to waste, I just didn't have that realization soon enough.

But, I digress.  Being 64 I have lived way over half my life and came to the sudden realization that I have only a few good years left and need to make the most of them.  Having said that I don't want to dwell on things that could have been. What a time waster that is and because I made this realization soon enough I determined not to waste what is left of my life doing so. Yes, I know this blog seems like that is what I am doing, but not really.  I am enjoying life and not to sound cliche, I have honestly realized these really are my golden years:)


I have much to be thankful for and much to do.  I plan on enjoying every minute that God has given me and thank Him everyday for all He has blessed me with.  My number one thing is to stick around to see my Grandchildren grow to be beautiful young adults and to be as much a part of their lives as I can being a long distance Grandma.  My number two thing is to be a good wife to a husband I absolutely respect and adore with all my heart.  He is enjoying good health at the moment and my health is better than it has been in a very long time.  My number three thing is to encourage my children.  They turned out to be wonderful adults despite my parenting.  I am so proud of my daughter and the wonderful person she is.  She is a talented writer and I just know that great book is on the verge of being written and published.  She is blessed with many wonderful friends, near and afar, who love and encourage her also.  My sons have the most beautiful children in the world and are great fathers.  They both are hands on Dads and I am so proud of them. 

Number four, be thankful for all things big or small.  Our travel trailer.  I am excited and cannot wait to see what is at the end of our road each day we travel.  I know my stories don't quite reflect that, but then I love to tell a good story even when the joke is on me:)  My ereader, it is the best thing ever and I am discovering worlds I hadn't taken the time for in many years.  Reading is a rediscovered love and I am so grateful for that tiny pleasure.  My electric toothbrush.  Don't laugh.  I hate dentist and because of my wonderful toothbrush I only have to see him once a year now instead of every three months.  Silicone, yes I am sure that in some way it isn't healthy, but it makes great cook ware and it is easy to store.  Slow cookers, rice cookers and every other convenience appliance.  I am an admitted kitchen gadget junky.  My new stove.  I often tell everyone how wonderful my new oven is.  Convection rocks and this one doesn't heat the house up to unbearable.  I actually bake more and Albert is very thankful.  My camera.  It has opened up my creative side and encourages me to look at things a little closer and to be more observant of what is around me.  If it doesn't move, it is fair game for a picture.  My computer, even when it has a mind of it's own, I can reach out to others and enjoy searching for that next great thing to be thankful for.   Number five is enjoy each minute of each day and in doing that I have found time seems to pass a little slower.  I could go on forever as I have a long list of large and small things to be grateful for, so I'll save a few things for future posts.

Yes, I am thankful for life in general.  We all need to remember the little things, but in particular to let others know we are thankful for them.  It takes so little effort to say thank you to family, friends, co-workers and anyone we meet in everyday life.  You never know how it might lift them up.  Be thankful in all circumstances and don't waste a day without thanking the giver of life for all He has given.   I hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving and ponder on all you have to be thankful for.

  

No comments: